MissionThe purpose of the NWMO is to develop and implement, collaboratively with Canadians, a management approach for the long-term care of Canada’s used nuclear fuel that is socially acceptable, technically sound, environmentally responsible and economically feasible.
The fundamental values that guide the work of the NWMO include:
- Safety: We place all aspects of public and employee safety – including environmental, conventional, nuclear and radiological safety – first and foremost in everything we do.
- Integrity: We act with openness, honesty and respect.
- Excellence: We use the best knowledge, understanding and innovative thinking and seek continuous improvement in all that we do in our pursuit of excellence.
- Collaboration: We engage in a manner that is inclusive, responsive and supports trust, constructive dialogue, and meaningful partnership.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our actions, including wise, prudent and efficient management of resources.
- Transparency: We communicate openly and responsibly, providing information about our approach, processes and decision-making.