The NWMO is working to develop a socially acceptable Transportation Planning Framework that is informed by public input and dialogue.
Draft Transportation Planning Framework
The NWMO has been engaging with thousands of Canadians, Indigenous peoples and organizations to understand their perspectives, suggestions, questions and concerns regarding the transportation of Canada's used nuclear fuel. Through this dialogue, a socially acceptable framework for future transportation planning is emerging.
In 2020, the NWMO published "Moving forward together: An invitation to review a draft planning framework for the transportation of used nuclear fuel." The draft framework outlines what we heard and understand from the public about how to implement this phase of Canada’s plan, and includes planning objectives, issues to be addressed and factors the NWMO needs to consider.
Safety and Security
- A robust, tested and certified transportation package
- Requirements are met for safety and security
- A Transportation Security Plan is in place
- An Emergency Response Plan is in place
- Requirements are met to obtain a licence to transport
- Periodic reviews and audits are planned
Developing a Planning Framework
The plan will need to lay out:
- Clear objectives;
- Issues that will need to be addressed;
- Factors to consider in making decisions; and
- The means we will use to ensure the plan includes the best knowledge and experience, as well as the values and priorities of citizens.